Frequently Asked Questions & Tutorials


Here you’ll find answers to questions we often hear from students. Click on the category below to jump to a section or use CTRL F to search the page by keywords.

Internships / CPT / OPT
Library Services
LIRN Online Library Video Tutorials
myIAU Video Tutorials
Student Services
Student Support
Tech Support > IAUonline / Moodle, Turnitin, myIAU
TOEFL ITP Test > English Proficiency


How long does it take to complete your program?

The Associate Science in Business Administration (ASBA) is 60 units and typically takes 2.5 years to complete. The Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) is 120 units and typically takes 5 years to complete. The Master of Business Administration (MBA) is 36 units and typically takes 2 years to complete. The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is 54 units and typically takes 4 years to complete. For a complete breakdown visit our Academic Policies page & read the Completion Time section.

When are classes held? What are the class schedules like?

IAU is very flexible! IAU has morning, afternoon, and evening classes available on weekdays and also morning classes on Saturdays. Students may also take 1 online course per term, as permitted by DHS.

When are the application deadlines?

To view all start dates, deadlines and important dates view our Academic Calendar.

What should I do if my transcripts are not in English?

Transcripts not in English must be evaluated by an appropriate third party and translated into English or evaluated by a trained transcript evaluator fluent in the language on the transcript. In this case, the evaluator must have expertise in the educational practices of the country of origin and include an English translation of the review. Scanned or photocopies of the original evaluations are not considered official.

Which standardized English exam and score does IAU accept?

A passing TOEFL TOEFL PBT, TOEFL IBT, IELTS, PTE, GMAT or TOEIC English Proficiency Exam. For more information on test scores and grade requirements, please view this document:

How do I provide evidence of my English proficiency?

Students can demonstrate proof of English Proficiency by providing one of the following:

  1. A passing TOEFL PBT/IBT, IELTS, ACT Compass, Eiken English Proficiency Exam score. Visit the F-1 Admissions page and view the English Proficiency PDF for more information.
  2. High School Diploma. For undergraduate applicants only, provide evidence of a high school diploma completed at an appropriately accredited/recognized high school (where the medium of instruction is English).
  3. Completed 24 credit hours in English. For undergraduate or graduate degree applicants, provide a transcript indicating completion of at least 24 semesters, or 36 quarter hours of credit, or 360 contact hours from an appropriately accredited institution where the language of instruction was English with an average grade of “C” or higher or “B” or higher, respectively. Units from English language training institutions do not count towards this requirement.
  4. Completed Degree from a U.S. Institution/ College/ University. Provide a transcript indicating completion of a degree from an appropriately accredited college or university.

How do I apply for an ESL program?

IAU does not issue the I-20 form for English Language Training, only for degree programs in business administration. If you are interested in English Language Training, please consider these quality schools below.

Career College Consultants
3325 Wilshire Blvd. Ste. 200, Los Angeles, CA 90010 | Tel: (213) 867-0567

Hancock International College | Johnny Lee, CEO
4199 Campus Drive Suite #600, Irvine, CA 92612 | Tel: (949) 679-2000 | Fax: (949) 679-2001

American Harbor College | Linnea Ray, President
2445 W. Chapman Avenue #260, Orange, CA 92868 | Tel: (323) 936-1624 |

If you need placement services, please contact Michael Yang at (213) 700-4723 or

What is the SEVIS Status Form?

The SEVIS Status Form is a document that has two parts: the first to be signed by you the student, and the second to be filled out by your current International Adviser. This form must be filled out by your current adviser to verify that you are currently maintaining F-1 status and are able to transfer to our institution in ACTIVE F-1 Status. This document is required before we are able to admit you into any of our programs.

Does IAU assist international students in obtaining a Social Security number?

Yes, we provide students with a letter of recommendation that they can then take to the Social Security Administration Office along with their I-20, I-94, and/or I-797 notice of action approval of F-1, & offer letter (all originals) to apply for their social security number.

How do I apply for an F-1 visa?

In order to renew your F-1 visa, you can opt for one of the two options below:

  1. Apply for an F-1 Visa renewal in your home country. You can travel to your home country during your Summer term (May-August). Please contact our DSO, for further instructions on how to apply for a vacation I-20 with the intention to renew your F-1 visa.
  2. Apply for an F-1 Visa renewal in Canada or Mexico. Non-immigrants in the U.S. can apply for an F-1 Visa renewal at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Canada or Mexico. If you wish to take this route, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate of respective countries to see if your home country is enlisted in their consular section.

Do you provide supporting documents that I can bring to my Visa interview?

Yes, upon acceptance into our program you will receive an acceptance letter and I-20 from IAU. With those documents, you can apply for your U.S. student visa. For more information about your visa interview and what to bring visit

My visa request got denied, what are my options now?

I am very sorry to hear that your F-1 visa petition got denied. You have the following options:

  1. Defer Admission: IAU is able to defer your application to our next available session. Please note that you have to submit updated bank statements in order to complete the process.
  2. Cancel Admissions: If you no longer plan to continue the admissions process with IAU, please let us know so we can update your files.

What are the initial costs upon applying to IAU?

Upon applying, you must pay the Application Fee (US$175) and the optional Notary Fee (US$10). Once you are accepted into the program and are enrolled for classes, you will then be invoiced for tuition. We offer monthly payment plans to make studying with us convenient and affordable! Fees are subject to change without prior notice, visit our Fees & Payment page.

How much does my program cost? What are the tuition fees?

The total cost of attendance may vary depending on how many credits are transferred into the IAU program as well as a few other factors. Tuition is billed at the time students register for course(s) for each term. IAU reserves the right to change tuition rates. Example tuition fee calculations are listed below. Visit the Schedule of Fees & Make A Payment page for a list of fees.

Tuition Per Term Example:
ASBA 12 units x $150 = $1,800
BBA 12 units x $150 = $1,800
MBA 9 units x $265 = $2,385
DBA 9 units x $265 = $2,385

Tuition For The Entire Program Example:
ASBA 60 units x $150 = $9,000
BBA 120 units x $150 = $18,000
MBA 36 units x $265 = $9,540
DBA 54 units x $265 = $14,310

Does IAU provide any financial aid or scholarships for international students?

Currently, IAU does not provide any financial aid or scholarships to students. However, we give our students the financial flexibility of payment plans for their entire program. A payment plan allows our students to divide their total tuition for each term into 4 monthly installments.


When is tuition due?

Tuition is due the 10th of each month if the student qualifies for a Tuition Installment Planner. If the student does not qualify for a Tuition Installment Planner, the entire tuition cost for the term is due on the 10th of the first month of the term.

How much do I owe?

Students can check the balance on their account by logging into the student’s myIAU account. Students can also contact the Office of Student Finance at to request the student’s most current Tuition Planner.

When will the tuition balance be updated in myIAU?

Due to the frequent changes in course registration, tuition balances are updated by the end of Week 3. Tuition payments will be posted on myIAU within 1-3 business days.

How do I receive a receipt of my payments?

You can download a record of all your payments and charges by using the ‘Generate Statement’ feature in myIAU. You can also download receipts for individual payments by clicking the ‘Print Receipt’ icon located to the right of the transaction.

how do i receive a receipt of my payments 01 how do i receive a receipt of my payments 02





Can a third party discuss my financial matters?

No, for privacy purposes. However, the student can authorize a third party to discuss the student’s tuition by sending an authorization letter to the Office of Student Finance with the following information:

  1. Student’s name
  2. Student’s ID
  3. Third Party’s Name
  4. Third Party’s Contact Information

Can a third party pay tuition on behalf of the student?

Yes, a third party can pay a student’s tuition through check or credit card. By check: The student’s name and ID must be written in the memo section of the check, located in the lower left. By credit card:

  1. Go to IAULA.EDU and select “Make Payment” from the Financials drop-down menu on the top of the page or go to
  2. Click “Tuition Payment” under Tuition and Other Payments in the Online Payment Methods section.
  3. Enter the amount you wish to pay and in the “Customer Comments” section enter the student’s name and ID.
  4. Fill in credit/debit card information to submit payment.
  5. You will receive an automated receipt of your payment via email. If necessary, a hard copy of the receipt is available at the Financial Office.

How do I request an extension for the tuition due date?

The student must email the Office of Student Finance ( with the following information:

  1. Full Name
  2. Student ID
  3. Reason for the extension request
  4. Expected tuition due date

How much is my refund from a withdrawal?

Due to multiple factors involved in calculating a withdrawal, the refund amount differs from student to student. Refunds are calculated based on the exact date the Office of Student Support receives a completed Withdrawal Form from the student. The pro-rata refund rate is as follows:

Class Scheduled Percentage of Class ScheduledProRate Rate

When will I get my refund from a withdrawn course?

The student’s remaining tuition for the term will be updated 3-5 business days after the Office of Student Support processes your withdrawal request.

How and when do I receive my referral credit?

To receive a referral credit, the referred student must provide the referrer’s name to the Office of Admissions on the Application for Admissions. The referrer will receive the $100 referral gift card after the referred student completes his/her first tuition payment. The maximum referral credit is $100 annually.

Is the 1098-T available?

Unfortunately, IAU does not offer this for our students. Because International American University is not funded by the government for financial aid, loans, or grants, we are not eligible to participate in the Department of Education’s student aid program.

What is IAU’s federal/tax ID number?



Am I required to do internships as a student?

For ALL business administration students, IAU requires the completion of a minimum of two (2) internship experiences during their academic program as an integral part of the established program curriculum to meet graduation requirements. However, business administration students are encouraged to engage in as many internships as possible to enhance the learning experience. Graduate F-1 students must begin their internship immediately within their first term of enrollment. If the graduate student fails to procure an internship within their first session of enrollment, this student must convene with a career services coordinator for assistance with obtaining an internship.

What kind of internships are available through IAU?

At IAU, students can engage in off-campus internships, on-campus internships, and TAP internships.

What is the Teaching Assistant Program (TAP) Internship?

TAP is a type of internship for students who seek teaching roles or roles in the academic field after graduation. Please note that TAP internship is only available for MBA students. In this internship, the student will assist the professor in undergraduate hybrid and online courses. Students applying for TAP must be enrolled in a degree program and must register for TAP 700 (3 units toward electives). Please see below for the Selection Criteria when applying for TAP:

  1. Be an active graduate IAU student.
  2. Must have a CGPA of 3.0 or above. Provide a copy of unofficial transcripts with the application. Can be obtained through myIAU.
  3. Must have a desire to teach and express this in a personal statement.
  4. Must obtain two letters of recommendation from two different faculty members; at least one recommendation must be from an IAU faculty. Use TAP registration Form.
  5. Petition to work under the supervision of a faculty member at IAU and seek approval.
  6. Be approved by the Dean of Academics.

What is CPT?

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an off or on-campus employment option for I-20 students when practical training is an integral part of the established curriculum or academic program. CPT employment is defined as “alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.” To qualify, the work experience must be required for the student’s degree, or academic credit must be awarded. Students can get paid for CPT employment. Prior authorization by IAU’s international student office and notification to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) is required.

How do I know if I qualify for CPT?

Eligibility to engage in CPT, the student must have:

  1. Been enrolled in school full-time for one academic year at a non-language training institution on valid I-20 status before s/he is eligible for CPT. An I-20 student, who is enrolled at the graduate level, must engage in CPT immediately. The mandatory internship policy requires the I-20 student to obtain internships under cooperative agreements with IAU. If the graduate student fails to procure an internship within their first session of enrollment, this student must convene with a career services coordinator for assistance with obtaining an internship.
  2. Received a job offer that qualifies before the student submits the CPT authorization request.
  3. A letter offering internship employment from an employer.

When is the soonest I can start CPT?

Graduate I-20 students who have completed a previous IAU degree program may start immediately. Graduate I-20 students who have not completed a previous IAU degree program, must have been enrolled in IAU full-time for two consecutive sessions (one term) before they are eligible for CPT. If you are enrolled in an undergraduate program (i.e., ASBA or BBA), then you must first complete one academic year (two terms) as a full-time student at IAU before applying for CPT. HOWEVER, if you have already completed one academic year at a SEVP-certified institution (NOT a language program), then you may also start CPT as soon as your first session.

How many times do I have to take BUS 440 or BUS 640? Every session as long as I want to work or only one time?

You must take BUS 440/640 for each session you have CPT. If you applied for CPT for a full term, then you must take one internship per session of that term (i.e., two internship courses in one term).

Does any job qualify for CPT?

No. Since IAU offers programs in business and management, job positions are not limited to any industry in particular. Positions may include, but are not limited to, accounting, business, economics, finance, healthcare administration, information technology, management, and marketing, or related positions. Positions will focus on the tasks performed and the knowledge gained while engaging in internships with a qualifying employer.

How many employers can I have while engaged in CPT?

You may have one employer up to a maximum of two employers per session while engaged in CPT. HOWEVER, if you do have two employers during one session, then both positions must be part-time positions. They cannot be full-time positions.

What is considered part-time or full-time CPT?

Full Time: Over 20 hours per week Part Time: No more than 20 hours

Can I register for CPT courses only during the summer term? If so, how do I do that?

Yes, you may drop below full-time for the summer and only enroll in BUS 640 in order to extend your work authorization for the summer term if you have previously completed one full term here at IAU. Simply email to inform them that you would like to enroll in BUS 640 Internship for 2016 Summer Sessions 1 & 2. They will send your summer registration form and our Practical Training Department will update your I-20 with your new work authorization dates.

Am I required to enroll in regular courses in the summer to obtain CPT?

If summer is not a mandatory term for you, then you do not have to enroll in regular courses to obtain CPT.

Am I allowed to work on CPT without taking the online internship course?

No, you cannot work on CPT without taking the internship course. CPT is only available for F-1 students when it is part of an established curriculum within a school. Therefore, CPT and the internship course go hand in hand.

How long does CPT last? Do I have to renew my CPT every month?

CPT duration starts from the date approved through the remainder of the term unless the student states a specific or earlier end date. Students do not have to renew CPT every month. However, students must request to extend CPT if they want to continue employment for another term. CPT must also be renewed if a student wants to change CPT employers.

I am now working part-time. Since I do not want to register for classes in the summer, can I change my part-time internship to full-time in the summer?

Yes, you can change your employment from part-time to full-time in the summer term. If you would like to extend your CPT with your current employer as well as change your employment from part-time to full-time, please notify us by filling out the Career Services Inquiry Form. We will update your CPT and notify you via email that the changes have been made. Please note that extending your CPT means that you will also be registering for an additional BUS 440/640 course.

My current CPT end date is the last day of this session, but I will still be working before the next session start date. What should I do?

If you’re extending CPT with the same employer, then the start date for the next session will be the day after your current CPT end date.

When and how do I apply for a Social Security Number (SSN)?

Within the cooperative educational internship agreement form, simply check the box marked “Yes” next to the question, “Will you be applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) with the Social Security Administration?” After your CPT request documents are approved, a DSO will issue your I-20 with a letter to the Social Security Administration that recommends you for an SSN. At that time, will also provide more details regarding the process for applying for an SSN.

What is OPT?

IAU offers Optional Practical Training (OPT) for eligible students. OPT is defined as “temporary employment for practical training directly related to the student’s major area of study.” Once the OPT application has been approved by USCIS, students may work in the United States for up to 12 months after program completion. The earliest a student may apply for OPT is 90 days before the student’s program end date. The latest students may apply for OPT is 60 days after the program end date. Students who wish to apply for OPT must petition for graduation first and meet the graduation requirements.

What is the difference between CPT and OPT?

OPT and CPT are two different things. CPT is “Curriculum Practical Training,” and occurs during the duration of your program. OPT is “Optional Practical Training,” and it occurs after you complete your program.

Does CPT affect or correlate to OPT in any way?

Yes. If you exceed more than 12 months of full-time CPT employment, you will NOT be eligible for OPT after you graduate from the program.

How long does OPT last?

The duration of OPT is 12 months. The 12 months will begin once your OPT has been approved OR after the 60-day grace period after your program end date regardless of whether or not your OPT has been approved.

What kind of paperwork or fees are needed to apply for OPT?

Visit our F-1 Services page and read the section titled: How to Apply for OPT.

What information do you need regarding my OPT employer & when do you need it?

Students’ employer information must be updated in SEVIS within 90 days of their USCIS approved OPT start date. The information that we will need is your employer name, employer address, job title, job description, start date, salary, and whether you will be working part-time or full-time.

What if my EAD card has incorrect information on it?

If your EAD contains incorrect information because of a USCIS error, USCIS will make the appropriate correction at no additional cost to you. In these cases, you do not need to submit a new Form I-765 or a filing fee. Instead, you must submit:

  • The original card containing the error,
  • A detailed explanation of the card error, and
  • Supporting documentation on the correct information.

Submit this information to the service center or National Benefit Center that approved your latest Form I-765.

What kind of career placement services does IAU provide?

IAU’s programs do not prepare graduates for a specific occupation or employment. However, IAU does provide assistance in career planning services. Through the Job Center, IAU will provide:

  1. Resume Writing Assistance
  2. Job Search Assistance
  3. A list of employers who are offering employment opportunities. These postings will be made available on the public bulletin job board at

All students are encouraged to speak with the Dean of Academics, faculty, and instructors regarding career and professional planning.


How do I make an appointment with an Academic Coordinator?

The best way to make an appointment is to email You can also call (213) 262-3939 or make an appointment in person.

Where can I find my professors email?

The professor’s email can be found in your course syllabus. The syllabus for each course is located in your IAUonline profile, under the “My Courses” tab and by clicking on the specific course. The syllabus is located near the top of the page under the general description of the course. Click the PDF icon of the syllabus to view/download.

How many online classes can I take?

You are allowed to take all of your classes online, but IAU recommends taking courses in a classroom setting in order to get more hands-on learning and participation.

Is it possible to substitute a core course for another one?

Under special circumstances, it is possible to substitute a core course for another course. The substituted course must be at the same level and similar in the subject matter. To request a course substitution, please submit a completed Course Substitution Request Form to

How can I calculate how many courses I have left to complete my program?

In order to calculate the remaining courses in your program, please refer to your Program Completion Plan. All students are emailed a copy of the Program Completion Plan at the time they are accepted to IAU. You may also refer to the Snapshot of your program by downloading it from IAU’s website. You may also schedule an appointment to meet with an Academic Advisor by emailing

Is it possible to request a course that is not currently being offered?

While it is not a guarantee, there are instances where a student may request a course that is not currently being offered. Generally, we will require 15 students or more to open a new course. For more information about future course offerings, please contact

If I am an online student, can I still attend the class?

As an online student, you are welcome to attend the class so long as space allows. Please verify with the Office of Student Support prior to attending the class if you are not sure if the class has reached capacity.

Where can I locate the syllabus?

The syllabus for each course is located in the courses section of your IAUonline account. Sign into IAUonline, go to the “My Courses” tab, then select the course you want to see the syllabus for. The syllabus will be located near the top of the page under the general description of the course. Click the PDF icon for the syllabus to view/download.

How do I get approval to submit an assignment after the deadline?

In order to gain approval to submit an assignment after the deadline, you must request the consent of the lead professor. The best way is to email the lead professor and CC:,, Once the professor has consented for you to submit the assignment, we will open the submission portal. Please remember, it is at the discretion of the lead professor to accept or deny late work.

What is the LIRN patron ID?

The LIRN virtual library provides students with millions of peer-reviewed and full-text journal, magazine, and newspaper articles, e-books, podcasts, audio, and video resources to support their academic studies.

Patron ID: 69784

When does registration open for the next term?

Please refer to our Academic Calendar.

When will changes to my registration be reflected in myIAU and IAUonline?

Generally, updates to your registration will be reflected within 2-3 business days.

When is the last day to make changes to my registration?

The deadline to drop a course and add another one is the end of the 2nd week of the session. Students may however elect to drop courses after the start of the 3rd week to receive a W.

How can I check my grades?

Final grades are posted in myIAU. Please login to myIAU to access a record of your academic history.

How do I contest a grade?

To contest a grade, fill out the Grade Appeal/Change Form and submit it to

What is CGPA?

CGPA stands for Cumulative Grade Point Average. It is the average of all of your grades you earned in your program. Depending on your program, you will need to maintain a certain average to be in good academic standing and to petition for graduation at the end of the program. CGPA Requirements: Undergrad: 2.0 Grad: 3.0

How is my final grade in a course calculated?

Located within the course syllabus is a section called “Grading Criteria”. The page will list a summary of the total number of points for the course. To calculate your own grade percentage, take the points you have earned in the class and divide it by the total possible points in the class and multiply by 100 to receive the grade percentage.

For example:

A class has 400 total points.
The student earns 298 points.
So you would divide 298 by 400 to get 0.745.
Then multiply 0.754 by 100 and you get 74.5%.
The grade for the class will be a C. 298 / 400 = 0.745  x 100 = 74.5% = C

The Grade Percentages & Letter Grades are as follows:

100% – 90% = A
89% – 80% = B
79% – 70% = C
69% – 60% = D
Below 59% = F

Is there a deadline for appealing a grade?

The deadline to appeal a grade is 2 weeks after the final grade has been posted in myIAU.

Where do I go to check my grades?

Login to myIAU, click “Courses”, click the “More Actions” drop-down menu, click “Academic History”.

When will the final grades be posted to myIAU?

Professors have two weeks after the end of the session to calculate and submit final grades to IAU. Once we have received final grades they are posted to myIAU. Students will receive an email confirmation after final grades are posted in myIAU.

How do I apply for graduation?

First, you will need to meet the requirements for graduation. The requirements are as follows:

  1. Must be in the last term of your program and complete all classes required in your program.
  2. Must be in good financial standing.
  3. Must be in good academic standing.
  4. Have a CGPA of 2.00 or higher (ASBA / BBA) or a 3.00 or higher (MBA).
  5. F-1 students must complete 2 sessions of internship.

Then in order to graduate students must fill out a Graduation Petition Form and pay the graduation fee before the deadline. Learn more by visiting

How do I apply for the Teaching Assistant Program (TAP)?

Inform the Office of Student Support via email, phone, or in-person that you are interested in the TAP. The list of professors offering TAP will be listed on the Courses Offered page. You will need to get the professor’s permission first before you can apply. Once you have the professor’s permission you will then need to provide the following documents to the Office of Student Support.

  1. TAP Application
  2. TAP Recommendation Form (must obtain two recommendations from two different faculty members. At least one recommendation must be from an IAU faculty member)
  3. Personal Statement (no more than 1 page)
  4. Resume
  5. Copy of Unofficial Transcripts

If I am working as an F-1 student, do I have to register for BUS 640 / BUS 440 every term?

You must register for BUS 640/440 every term that you are working. If you are not working, then you don’t need to register for BUS 640/440.

Do I need to resubmit docs when each time I register for an Internship?

No. You only need to resubmit your CPT documents if you change employers or change from full-time to part-time or part-time to full-time.

Is it possible to switch my program?

Yes. You will need to fill out and submit the Change of Program Form to the Registrar.

How do I extend my program?

As an F-1 student, you may request to extend your program under special circumstances. Please email to schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor if you feel you will need to extend your program.

How can I get an official transcript?

Official Transcripts can be ordered through Parchment. Please watch the How to Videos:

If you need assistance or have questions about the ordering service, please email

**If you graduated before 2010, please order an official transcript from IAU directly. Do not order through Parchment. Please email at

How can I get an unofficial transcript?

Contact the Office of Student Support and an unofficial transcript can be provided to you. You can also log into myIAU and print a copy of your Academic History.

What is plagiarism?

Plagiarism is an act, or instance, of using or closely imitating the work of another author/student without properly citing or giving credit to the original work.

What is TurnItIn?

Turnitin is an anti-plagiarism software that checks if a student’s assignment shows any similarity to other essays, sources, and quotes. If the student’s essay shows high plagiarism percentage, can lead consequences.

What is the similarity report in TurnItIn?

Similarity Reports provide a summary of matching or highly similar text found in a submitted paper. When a Similarity Report is available for viewing, an icon will appear in the Similarity column of the Assignment Inbox. Similarity Reports that have not yet finished generating are represented by a grayed-out icon in the Similarity column. Reports that are not available may not have generated yet, or assignment settings may be delaying the generation of the report.

When is the last day to withdraw from a course and receive a W?

The last day to withdraw from a class and receive a W is the Friday of the 6th week of the session.

What is a W?

The W stands for Withdrawal and is a mark you receive on your transcript that denotes you attempted a class but for whatever reason decided to quit the class. The W will not be counted towards your CGPA. However, there are limitations and consequences to withdrawing from classes. Depending on your program, you have a limited number of W’s you can have on your transcripts. If you exceed the number of W’s to your program, you will have to speak with an Academic Coordinator. Maximum Withdrawals (W’s): Associate Degree (5 W’s), Bachelor Degree (10 W’s), Master Degree (3 W’s). See Academic Policies for more information.

Can a W be removed?


How do I withdraw from a class?

In order to withdraw from a class, students must fill out a Withdrawal Form and email it to Once the document is received, it will be passed to the Office of Finance to calculate if any applicable refund is due at the time of withdrawal. Our refund policy is adjusted according to the week in which a student withdraws. Since each course is 8 weeks, students will be refunded a certain percentage of the total due for each individual course. IAU shall pay or credit refunds due on a reasonable or timely basis, not to exceed 30 days following the date upon which the student’s withdrawal has been determined. Please see the refund calculation policy below. Pro Rata Calculation Refund Policy General: The refund policy for students who have completed 60 percent or less of the period of attendance shall be a pro rata refund. Under this policy, the minimum refund allowed shall be as follows:

Class Scheduled Percentage of Class ScheduledProRate Rate
For more refund examples visit our Financial Policies page.

Does a W affect my CGPA?

No, W’s do not affect your CGPA. However, you are only allowed a limited number of W’s depending on your program.

How do I dispute an absence notice?

The best course of action is for you to discuss this in person with the professor the next time you have class. We determine attendance based on what was marked on the attendance sheet. If you speak with the professor in person, it will help them to learn your name and face so the issue doesn’t happen again. Once the professor corrects the mark on the attendance sheet, we will update our records.

How do I update my information?

Do I need to submit a form to request a summer vacation?

Summer is an optional term for full-time students who have completed a full term (2 sessions) with IAU. For part-time students, they will need to enroll in classes every term including Summer (2 courses a term for undergraduates, 1 course a term for graduates). While you do not need to fill out a form to take a vacation during the Summer term, if you are an F-1 student and are planning to leave the country, you will have to request a Vacation I-20 from IAU.

How do I get an absence excused?

Absences may be excused with a written doctor’s note or under extreme emergencies. If you attended class but were marked as absent, please notify the professor and the Office of Student Support to clear up any discrepancies in class attendance. If you arrive to class late or leave the class early, it is at the discretion of the professor to mark you absent or present.

How do I apply for a Leave of Absence or to Drop Below Full Course Load?

If you need to leave the country during a mandatory term or if you need to lower your courses, please contact the Office of Student Support to make an appointment to discuss your options and determine the best solution.

When am I allowed to travel within the U.S. for vacation?

You may travel within the U.S. at any time. Please make sure that you do not miss classes. Attendance policies apply.

When am I allowed to travel outside the U.S. for vacation?

Travel outside the U.S. is permitted during the Summer Vacation term or defined breaks as outlined in the Academic Calendar. This is unless you are admitted in Spring session 2 or Summer session 1. If you are admitted in Spring, session 2, then you may take Summer, session 2 off for vacation. If you are admitted in Summer, session 1, then you have no summer vacation that year.

Am I allowed to travel outside the U.S. during a non-vacation term?

Please note, IAU does NOT allow students to take vacation during mandatory enrollment terms. Students who wish to leave the U.S. for emergencies for less than 14 days are permitted on a case by case basis. However, students who do not have emergencies must wait until the Summer Vacation term or defined breaks as outlined in the Academic Calendar. IAU does NOT advise that students travel during mandatory enrollment terms.

When traveling outside of the U.S., what should I bring?

In order to better prepare yourself, please always bring with you all copies of Form I-20, bank statements, registration forms, and any other documents which can demonstrate that you are enrolled full time.

For vacations, do I need to fill out any forms or paperwork?

If you are in need of a travel endorsed I-20, please read carefully and submit the following: Travel Endorsement Request Form.

How long does the process take to receive a Vacation I-20?

Once you have submitted the Travel Endorsement Request Form, you will receive a follow-up message requesting necessary supporting documents. Please provide these supporting documents ASAP or else we will not be able to process your request.


Can you send me the password for the online library, LIRN?

Please log into IAUonline (any login issues, please email You can find the link and login directions on the welcome page of your course, there is a course titled “TRD100 – Online Orientation for Students”. You can also check out IAU’s tutorials for instructions on how to use MyIAU and LIRN. Please do not share with anyone who has no affiliation with IAU because the login and password are exclusively for IAU students.

What is the procedure for borrowing books from the library?

Books cannot be taken out of the library by students. You are allowed to take photos or scan pages of any book.

How can I copy a page I need in the library?

You can use the scanner next to the librarian’s desk to make a copy of certain pages. If you run into any technical issues, please ask IAU staff for help. Please do not take any library books out of the library without permission from the librarian or other IAU staff members.

Is there an online catalog for the physical library?

Our library catalog is still under construction. When it is ready, students will be given a username and password to browse the library OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog). For now, you can walk into the library and browse the shelves and use any book on site. If you have a particular book you are interested in and want to know if the library holds it, please ask the librarian by filling out the Library Inquiry Form.

Can I eat or drink in the library?

Covered drinks and light snacks are allowed in the library. Please be mindful of other people when you eat and/or drink in the shared space. Please eat full meals in the SKY Lounge instead of in the library or any of the classrooms. Please remember to clean up after yourself.

Do we have ebooks in the online library, LIRN?

Since IAU has subscriptions in LIRN, all students, faculty, and staff members have access to Proquest Ebook Central. It holds ebooks covering 36 subject categories from art, literature, history and religion to political science, business, education, law, and social science; from health, medicine, agricultural and biology to mathematics, chemistry, physics, engineering and computer science. Students can view any of the ebooks online when they sign on to LIRN and select the database called “Ebook Central: Academic Complete”. Some of the ebooks can be downloaded as a full book or by chapters. They can be used as references for your papers.

Can I find my textbooks for my class in the physical library?

The library plans to provide textbooks on reserve for all courses. Until then, you can walk into the IAU library and use any textbooks we currently have in the library. Students are allowed to take photos and/or make copies for pages.

Hard copies of textbooks are expensive. How can I find inexpensive textbooks?

Costs of textbooks vary a lot. Not all of them are expensive as you may think. Here are some alternatives besides using the library textbook reserves.

  1. You may check out some online markets for used textbooks to find deals, see below for a list of articles on those websites. If you decide to purchase your textbooks from Amazon, please use the IAU links.
  2. You may rent a textbook online, see below for a list of articles on those websites. If you would like IAU to provide textbook rental services, please fill in the Textbook Rental Survey to let us know how the proposed new service may assist you.
  3. Comparing the Best College Textbook Rental Sites for 2018
  4. The Best Places to Buy College Textbook Online
  5. Where to Find Textbooks on the Cheap The 12 best sites to rent or buy your books from

Does the library take book donations?

The IAU library does take book donations as long as they are relevant to our educational programs. For further questions about this please fill out the Library Inquiry Form.

When is the main campus library open?

Library hours are generally:

Monday – Friday: 9:00 am – 8:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Sunday: Closed

Please Note: Library hours may vary each session because of the class schedule, please check with front desk for the most updated hours. If you find the library door locked during these hours, please ask the front desk to open it for you.


Video Tutorial: LIRN Login

Video Tutorial: Generate APA Citation in LIRN


Video Tutorial: myIAU Login

Video Tutorial: myIAU Profile

Video Tutorial: myIAU Program Audit

Video Tutorial: Make A Payment in myIAU

Video Tutorial: Academic History in myIAU


Am I required to enroll in a minimal number of terms upon enrollment?

Upon official enrollment, all F-1 international students are required to register, enroll, and complete two consecutive sessions. F-1 international students who do not register, enroll, and complete for two consecutive sessions shall have their I-20 terminated. Students who wish to transfer to another SEVP-approved institution before they have completed two consecutive sessions shall be transferred in “inactive” status. Undergraduate full-time enrollment: 12 units Graduate full-time enrollment: 9 units

Where can I purchase textbooks for discounted prices?

The textbook list is posted online each session a month before the course starts to allow ample time for students to obtain a textbook. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain the textbook(s) required for the classes they are enrolled in. The estimated cost of one used textbook is $80-100. To calculate the total textbook expense for the entire program, multiply $90 x how many courses in the program. Most textbooks can also be obtained through major bookstores such as: AmazonBarnes and NobleeCampus

Where can I find information on housing?

IAU does not have dormitory facilities under its control. Housing is the responsibility of the student. There are many apartments for rent within a 1 to 10-mile radius. Many are within walking distance. Single bedroom apartments may cost $900 to $1,300/month. Many families have rooms for rent from $600 to $800/month. A student services staff will assist students in finding an appropriate place to live ( The office provides information about the local neighborhoods, including popular restaurants, shopping areas, parks and recreation, and public transportation. Read more on our F-1 Services page.

Where do I park and is there a fee?

Click here to view all parking information in PDF format at our main Los Angeles Campus. Our parking information is also found here: Parking is free at our Garden Grove location.

How do I obtain a Transit Access Pass (TAP) card?

Students can apply for an LA Metro TAP card.

Unfortunately, IAU cannot ensure that you will be approved for a reduced fare TAP card. The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) has its own regulations for approving passengers for reduced fares. Please click the following link for more information:

We can provide you with additional documentation in the form of a TAP Enrollment Verification and Official Registration Form, but your eligibility for a reduced fare may depend on your course schedule. Please click the following link for more information:

Please note that IAU has no control over Metro’s standards for approving students for a reduced fare TAP card.

If you have any questions, please contact Thanks!

What happens if I lose my documents while traveling outside of the U.S./not to my home country?

Lost or Stolen Travel Documents

  • Lost/Stolen I-20 or DS-2019: If a student is outside the U.S., IAU can either ship the original document or email a copy of the I-20 with a travel support letter. If the student plans to attempt to reenter the U.S. without their original I-20, they may be issued the I-515A, discretionary issuance by CBP. DS-2019s should not be sent via PDF/email per DOS guidance. Applicable courier fees apply.
  • I-193 – Application for Waiver of Passport and/or Visa, pay the required fee. Admitting someone in this way is highly discretionary and rare. Students should not count on being granted a waiver in this way.
  • Instructions from DOS to replace lost/stolen passport, visa, or I-94:

Am I required to obtain health insurance?

Health insurance is recommended for international students enrolled in IAU. All international students on F-1 visas are recommended to have medical insurance for themselves and their dependents living with them. Although IAU does not mandate a specific Health Insurance Provider, IAU is partnered with ISO Health Insurance to provide international students with local and affordable plans. Should you wish to apply or for more information, please visit:

For students on OPT who wish to apply for Health Insurance through ISO, please take a look at the options provided below:

Where can I get legal advice on some immigration issues?

IAU works closely with a wonderful, experienced immigration attorney. Please visit our web page with trusted immigration attorneys and agencies:

*IAU does not endorse or recommend to students or others any immigration attorney or service. IAU has made no independent investigations of and accepts no responsibility for the services. No special referral or incentive arrangement exists between IAU and any immigration attorney or agency and IAU expressly disclaims giving any guarantees, warranties, or any other representations about such services.


How can I submit or retake assignments/quizzes?

If you are submitting an assignment and/or taking a quiz for the first time, please log into IAUonline, find and click the course under the “My Courses” tab, once inside the course select the correct week and assignment/quiz. There you will find instructions on how to turn in your assignment or how to take the quiz. To retake a quiz, you will need the professor’s approval by emailing and including your full name, student ID number, course code & name, professor’s name, and assignment/quiz name in the message. The retake request will then be forwarded to the professor for approval.

There is no button to submit the assignment. Turnitin is not showing the “Submit Paper” option. What should I do? How do I submit my assignment?

The submission button in IAUonline / Moodle disappears once the submission due date passes. To get an extension or resubmit assignments, please refer to the next question on how to get an extension.

The assignment deadline has passed. Can I get an extension?

An extension for a late assignment must be approved by the professor of the course. Contact your professor (email provided in the syllabus) and cc Be sure to include your full name, student ID number, course code & name, professor’s name and assignment name in the message.

I disabled pop-ups on my browser and I cannot submit my assignment/case study. What should I do?

Re-enable pop-ups on your browser, refresh the page and try to upload the assignment/case study again. If that doesn’t work, try using another browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari (Mac).

I cannot see the course I am enrolled in. What should I do?

If you have properly completed your registration for the term and resolved any finance issues then email and include your full name, student ID number, and the course code & name that is missing from your IAUonline or myIAU profile. Tech Support will verify proper registration forms and correct any errors.

There is another course I did not register for showing up in my IAUonline / myIAU account. What should I do?

If you find a discrepancy with your registered courses please contact Tech Support will then verify the proper registration forms with the Office of Student Support. Once the discrepancy is verified by the Office of the Student Support, Tech Support will remove the course from your online account(s).

Why are my grades not showing on the Grader Report / User Report in IAUonline / Moodle?

Please allow time for the professor to grade all assignments and enter them into IAUonline / Moodle. If you find a grade discrepancy or missing grade, refresh the page and wait for the page to fully load. If that doesn’t work contact your professor (email provided in the syllabus) and cc

My assignment has not been graded for this week? How do I check my grade in IAUonline / Moodle?

Please allow time for the professor to grade all assignments. Within IAUonline / Moodle grades for all assignments can be seen by clicking the link Grades under the Administration Block typically found on the left side of the page. If an assignment has not been graded, contact your professor (email provided in the syllabus) and cc and We will follow up with the professor and resolve the matter.

How can I send a late assignment through Turnitin?

You can notify the IAU Tech Support team at and provide your full name, student ID number, course code & name, assignment name and professor’s name. The request for a late submission will then be forwarded to the professor for approval. Once approved by the professor, Turnitin will be enabled for the late assignment.

My assignment is not showing in Turnitin. What should I do?

If your assignment is not showing in Turnitin, contact your professor (email provided in the syllabus) and cc Please give 2-3 business days for the professor to respond. The IAU Tech Support team will follow up with the professor if there is no response.

I get an error message from Turnitin: There was an error trying to create the submission in Turnitin.

If you have received an error message from Turnitin, take a screenshot right away. Email the screenshot, your full name, student ID number, course code & name, assignment name and professor’s name.

I cannot login to myIAU or IAUonline. How do I reset my password?

To recover or reset your password on either site, click the link under the sign in area titled “Forgotten your username or password?” (IAUonline | Moodle) or “Did you forget your password?” (myIAU). Then follow the instructions to recover / reset your password. If you’re still having problems, send an email to and include your full student name and student ID number in the message. The Tech Support team will send you the proper instructions on how to reset your password.

I cannot log into myIAU, my account is disabled.

Send an email to to let them know your account has been disabled and you are unable to login. Please include your full name and student ID number in the message.

The uploaded video for this week cannot be viewed. What should I do?

Please check your Adobe Flash player to see if it is updated to the most current version. Sometimes using a different browser may also work (chrome, firefox, etc). If you are still not able to see the video, email and we will look into the issue and follow up with the professor.

TOEFL ITP Test > English Proficiency

What is the TOEFL ITP test?

The TOEFL ITP test is an affordable and convenient English proficiency test that can be used for ESL placement. It is provided through the Educational Testing Service ( It consists of three sections: Learning Comprehension, Structure and Written Expression and Reading Comprehension. The exam in total takes 115 minutes.

Is the TOEFL test a requirement of getting admitted into IAU?

No, the TOEFL ITP test is not a requirement, but students must show proficiency in the English language. If the TOEFL ITP test score is not part of your application, there are three other ways you can prove your English proficiency.

  1. A high school diploma, for undergraduate applicants only. Provide evidence of a high school diploma completed at an appropriately accredited/recognized high school where the medium of instruction is English.
  2. Completion of 24 credit hours in English. For undergraduate or graduate degree applicants, provide a transcript indicating completion of at least 24 semesters, or 36 quarter hours of credit from an appropriately accredited institution where the language of instruction was English with an average grade of “C” or higher or “B” or higher, respectively. Units from English language training institutions do not count towards this requirement.
  3. Completed Degree from U.S. Institution/College/University. Provide a transcript indicating completion of your degree from an appropriately accredited college or university.

May I use a score from a past TOEFL ITP test as part of my admissions application for IAU?

Yes. Please submit copies of your TOEFL ITP exam with your application.

What is the cost of taking the TOEFL ITP test at IAU? How do I pay?

The TOEFL ITP test fee is $60.00. The fee is non-refundable and non-transferable to another test. You can pay in person with cash, personal or business check, money order or bank draft payable to International American University. If you wish to pay online visit IAU’s Make A Payment web page. Click on “TOEFL ITP Test Fee (USD $60)” to make the payment.

I have never taken the TOEFL ITP exam. What should I expect to see on the exam?

The TOEFL ITP test consists of three sections. (1) Listening Comprehension measures your ability to understand English as it is spoken in North America. This section takes 35 minutes to complete. (2) Structure and Written Expression measures your ability to recognize language that is appropriate for standard written English. This section takes 25 minutes to complete. (3) Reading Comprehension measures your ability to understand the non-technical reading matter. This section takes 55 minutes to complete.

Are there any materials I can study prior to taking the test?

What are the passing requirements at IAU for the TOELF ITP test?

ASBA Program: 500+. BBA Program: 500+. MBA Program: 530+.

What are the exam dates and times?

Can I take the TOEFL ITP test at a different location?

Yes, but it must be the TOEFL ITP exam but we recommend all prospective IAU students take the exam at our Test Center for expediency purposes.

Is there a practice TOEFL ITP?

Yes, please see the TOEFL Sample Test Booklet.

How soon will I get my TOEFL ITP test results?

There is a one week wait for results via email and two weeks for official paper documents that you can pick up at the IAU campus.

How can I get my TOEFL results rushed?

We offer rush results for a fee of $25 that will allow you to receive your results within 1 business day. Your results will be passed to a DSO who will contact you with further details.

How do I schedule an appointment to take the TOEFL ITP test at IAU?

To take the TOEFL test at IAU, please follow these instructions:

  1. Pick a test date from the available 2016 TOEFL ITP Schedule of Test Dates and Times.
  2. Make a payment either in person with cash, personal or business check, money order or bank draft payable to International American University. Or pay online by going to IAU’s payment web page and click on “TOEFL ITP Test Fee (USD $60)” to make the payment, then enter the expected test appointment date into the customer comment box to complete the transaction.
  3. The third step will require you to submit proof of payment. Please send your payment receipt to Be sure to provide the test date, full legal name, email address, and phone number.
  4. Once you have completed the first three steps, you will receive an email confirmation. If the payment is received less than 24 hours from the test date, then the test may be rescheduled to the next available date.

Is there a direct contact for TOEFL ITP department at IAU?

Contact IAU’s Test Center for any additional questions at or call (213) 262-3939.

What happens if I miss my TOEFL ITP test appointment?

If you do not show up for your scheduled test date, you will forfeit the registration fee. The registration fee will not be refunded or transferred to another test date. If you miss your scheduled appointment for the TOEFL test, you must re-register for the next available date and a new fee of $60.00 will apply.

Is there limited seating for the exam?

Yes, the capacity of our TOEFL exams are 10 candidates per test date. This number is subject to change without notice. The seats are registered in the order of receipt confirmation from International American University. We will not be able to reserve test dates unless payments are made in advance with proof of payment.

Am I allowed to bring materials to aid me during the TOEFL ITP exam?

While taking the test, test takers may have nothing on their desks except their test books, answer sheets, pencils and erasers. Test takers are not allowed to use books, papers or aids of any kind during the exam. Prohibited materials include, but are not limited to, dictionaries, calculators, cell phones, personal computing devices, slide rules, rulers and magnifying devices.