The mission of International American University (IAU) is to create and disseminate knowledge, to facilitate student learning, prepare students for a career in the business field, and to promote ethical business practices, while capitalizing on the University’s diversity and location in the Southern California area.
IAU accomplishes its mission by:
- Promoting excellence in education through our undergraduate and graduate programs, and to prepare students for success in the global economy;
- Developing student critical thinking skills;
- Providing students with career-focused skills to achieve success;
- Supporting students with quality student services efforts;
- Assisting selected students in attaining career goals through University’s internship programs;
- Supporting scholarly research and professional visibility in areas valuable to business and society;
- Building a community of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and business associates through community outreach and public events;
- Encouraging life-long learning.
The Vision of International American University is to provide students with a quality education at an affordable price and enabling students to maximize their professional and personal potential.
In support of the IAU mission and vision, the University is committed to:
- Provide staff, faculty and students with a stable and enjoyable work environment enriched by a culture of caring, respect, and open communication;
- Have a professional outlook that values innovation, ongoing self-assessment, creative thinking, and a willingness to lead positive educational and social change;
- Focus on affordable, quality instruction including undergraduate and graduate programs that promotes life-long learning and the success of our graduates;
- Respect for a diversity of cultures, ideas, and experiences of our staff, faculty, and students;
- Encourage scholarly pursuit and creative endeavors of students, faculty, and university staff;
- Collaborate with business, industry, the community, and governmental bodies to create affordable and accessible learning opportunities for students entering the workforce;
- Provide student-centered support services that are personal, responsive, and geared toward assisting students in achieving their educational goals;
- Have accessible, flexible, and appropriate technology in the delivery of our programs, services, and operations;
- Sustain the role of a good corporate citizen through community participation and support; &
- Exercise integrity, fairness, tolerance, and professionalism in all our operations which support our mission and vision.
The following are specific strategic actions in support of the University’s mission, vision, and core values:
- Creating a student-centered campus community in which all individuals are valued and diversity is embraced;
- Providing opportunities in classrooms and campus activities for students to realize their personal, intellectual, and professional goals;
- Emphasizing hands-on, experiential, and applied teaching and learning in small classes;
- Providing students with extracurricular activities to promote fellowship and the exchange of ideas;
- Providing students with interactive program and degree counseling;
- Conducting student workshops to prepare them for future employment;
- Continuing with the development and expansion of internships and service learning opportunities;
- Providing tutoring opportunities;
- Providing responsive online technical support;
- Enhancing course delivery with the inclusion of current technologies;
- Hiring well-qualified instructors with both extensive academic and business experience;
- Having an active instructor development program;
- Forging stronger extensive ties with the private and non-profit sectors;
- Reducing the campus carbon footprint by applying alternative energy options wherever practical.
The goal at International American University is to provide students a quality education at an affordable price. IAU does this through the ACTION program. This program is based on not only providing quality academic sources but other support and services that will assist students as they enter into the workforce. This is accomplished through participative academic advising, valuable coursework, workshops, student activities, and available internships. The program is based on:
Academics: IAU provides quality courses with highly qualified professors who not only have the academic qualifications but have real world business experience.
Communication: IAU has an active staff and are readily available to students to help them schedule their academic program. IAU also has a highly qualified on-line technical support to assist in any questions or problems students might face in an on-line/classroom-hybrid environment.
Technology: Through the Moodle platform, students are provided supplemental material that enhances the classroom experience. IAU instructors also use modern technology in the classroom to enrich the learning experience.
Instruction: IAU professors are readily available in assisting students in their academic activities during “office hours”. Instruction not only involve lectures but also case studies, guest lecturers, and occasional field trips. IAU also conducts workshops for students on topics of interest and relevance to their academic activities. Tutoring is also available on an as needed basis.
Objectives: IAU's overriding objective is to promote excellence in education in undergraduate and graduate programs, and to prepare students for success in the global economy. This includes developing student critical thinking skills, providing students with career-focused skills to achieve success, and supporting students with quality student services efforts.
Network: An important goal at IAU is in building a network of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and business associates through student activities, community outreach and public events. On a limited basis IAU also offers valuable internship programs for students to gain real world business experience.