F-1 Student Admissions


IAU believes that the education offered is greatly enhanced by the richness of the interaction between students from widely diverse background. Applying to our university as an F-1 student is easy. IAU is here to assist F-1 student with their application and will do the best to make it a pleasant experience.

In addition to meeting all general admissions requirements for the degree programs, F-1 international students are required to submit additional documentation. Review the following admissions process to submit your application for admissions.

For more information on requirements for admission of international students, please email admissions@iau.LA.

For detailed information about F-1 students, the admissions process, coming to USA, employment, OPT, etc., please review the F-1 Handbook (SEVP) designed specifically for IAU’s F-1 students and visit IAU’s F-1 Services page.

F-1 Handbook (SEVP)

English Proficiency

IAU requires writing skills at the appropriate level. Proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English is essential to a student’s success at IAU. If English is not the applicant’s native language, or if an applicant has not had his/her secondary education taught in English, s/he will be required to provide proof of English Proficiency. Since classes are taught in English, an applicant must demonstrate his/her ability to read, write and speak English.

Or a student may demonstrate English Proficiency by one of the following ways (as listed on the Admissions Portfolio page):

  •  A passing TOEFL PBT/IBT, IELTS, ACT Compass, Eiken English Proficiency Exam score. View ENGLISH PROFICIENCY PDF
  • A high school diploma. For undergraduate applicants only, provide evidence of a high school diploma completed at an appropriately accredited / recognized high school (where the medium of instruction is English).
  • Completed 24 credit hours in English. For undergraduate or graduate degree applicants, provide a transcript indicating completion of at least 24 semester, or 36 quarter hours of credit from an appropriately accredited institution where the language of instruction was English with an average grade of “C” or higher or “B” or higher, respectively. Units from English language training institutions do not count towards this requirement.
  • Completed Degree from a U.S. Institution. Provide a transcript indicating completion of degree from an appropriately accredited college or university.

Financial Capability

Required: Before a U.S. consul will grant a visa, you must prove that you will have sufficient money to meet all your expenses while studying in the United States. You must explain the source of your funds and guarantee that you will receive them while at the University. Unless you are able to provide written evidence demonstrating you have adequate financial resources for the entire time needed to complete your degree program, the consul will not grant a student visa.

Submit a certified statement by a bank or acceptable official agency of available funds to cover all expenses while in attendance at the University (approximately $8,100 USD per trimester). Immigration laws only permit employment in special cases and only on a part-time basis.

Dependents: If you plan to bring a spouse and/or children, they will need to be listed on the financial documentation form. Please list their names at the bottom of the form along with their date of birth, country of citizenship, and relationship to the student. You must add $1,000 USD per dependent per trimester to the total available funds. Submit copy of passport for all dependents.

Foreign Educated Applicants

If an applicant completed his/her coursework at a foreign (outside of the U.S) institution, s/he will need to provide an official evaluation of the academic credentials. Transcripts not in English must be evaluated by an appropriate third party and translated into English or evaluated by a trained transcript evaluator fluent in the language on the transcript. In this case, the evaluator must have expertise in the educational practices of the country of origin and include an English translation of the review.

  • Course-By-Course Report: If student wants to receive transfer credit for coursework completed at a foreign (outside of the United States) college or university s/he will need to submit a professional course-by-course English-translated evaluation of your coursework.
  • General Report: For purposes that require showing evidence of an earned degree, a professional General Report English-translated evaluation of the degree is acceptable.

IAU recommends a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES®) member (www.NACES.org) or other reputable foreign credential evaluation agency. Official evaluation does not guarantee that IAU will accept all or any of your coursework. See the list of NACES® approved agencies.

In the event that applicants cannot obtain official copies due to circumstances, notarized (or otherwise certified) copies of academic documents are acceptable.

Initial F-1 Students Full-Time Enrollment

Upon official enrollment, all F-1 international students are required to register, enroll, and complete two consecutive sessions. F-1 international students who do not register, enroll, and complete for two consecutive sessions shall have their SEVIS status terminated. Students who wish to transfer to another SEVP-approved institution before they have completed two consecutive sessions shall be transferred in “inactive” status.

Undergraduate full-time enrollment: 12 units
Graduate full-time enrollment: 9 units

Legal Immigration Services

IAU does not provide legal services. If you are in need of immigration legal services, please feel free to contact an experienced immigration attorney.

Carmen Villamor
4929 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1015
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Tel: (323) 939-8200
Fax: (323) 939-8400
Web: www.carmenvillamor.com/#journey
Email: carmen@carmenvillamor.com

Other Documents: Passport, I20, I94, SEVIS Status Form

Copy of Passport, Copy of all previous I-20’s, Copy of I-94, SEVIS Status Form.

SEVIS Status Form: If you are in F-1 status at another U.S. institution and plan to enroll at International American University, you will need to transfer your SEVIS record from your current institution to IAU. You will first need to complete your Admissions Portfolio. If you are accepted to IAU, you will receive an Acceptance Letter to provide to the international office at your previous school to begin the transfer out process. Then, the international office can release your SEVIS record to IAU.

Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)

SEVIS is an internet-based system that is used to maintain accurate and current information on non-immigrant students/scholars (F, M & J) visas and their dependants. SEVIS allows schools and the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to exchange data on the visa status of international students/ scholars. On July 1, 2002 the INS implemented SEVIS with voluntary enrollment from schools. IAU has been participating in SEVIS since March 2009. SEVIS school code#: LOS214F01373000

F-1 / SEVIS / General Information


International Student Health Insurance

Health insurance is recommended for F-1 students enrolled in IAU. All international students on F visas are recommended to have medical insurance at all times for themselves and their dependents living with them.

With over 20 years of international healthcare experience, GeoBlue delivers worldwide student health insurance solutions and services that provide borderless access to healthcare, coupled with high-tech, high-touch service. Students will have access to the largest healthcare provider network inside the U.S., ensuring they have the ability to get the care they need, when they need it.

Housing / Living Accommodations

Please see our F-1 Services webpage for more information on Housing and Homestays.

USCIS Regulations

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is an agency for the Department of Justice. The USCIS governs the laws and regulations which affect individuals of different visa classifications. Please follow these simple guidelines so you will comply with USCIS regulations:

  • Student must be a full-time student at the school that you are authorized to attend by USCIS. This means completing at least 12 undergraduate units or 9 graduate units each mandatory trimester (Spring & Fall).
  • Student must have a permanent home address outside of the United States. That address must be on file with the school granting your I-20.
  • Student must keep your passport valid at all times, up to six months into the future.
  • Student must be able to support yourself without working illegally during your entire stay in the United States.
  • Student should make photocopies of: passport, I-20, I-94 card (both sides). Keep the photocopies of these documents in a safe place. If original documents get lost or stolen, having copies will make the replacement process much easier.
  • Student must not travel outside the United States without first consulting with an IAU DSO at least 2 weeks before you travel. The IAU DSO will check student’s documents and sign I-20 so that s/he will not have any difficulties re-entering the United States. International students from certain countries may need to obtain special “visitor visas” to enter Canada. If a student has a family emergency and need to leave immediately, contact the IAU DSO for immediate assistance.
  • Travel during your application request for Optional Practical Training (OPT): If student is eligible and would like to apply for Optional Practical Training, student will be advised that student should not travel outside the USA until you have been issued the work permit from DHS.
  • VISA OVERSTAYS: Non-immigrant visa stamp in your passport will now be void in the United Stated beyond the period of authorized stay. You cannot seek a new visa other than from your country of citizenship. (Illegal Immigration Reform & Immigration Responsibility Act of 1996)
  • PERIOD OF AUTHORIZED STAY extends to the expiration date on your I-20, plus your grace period. (Illegal Immigration Reform & Immigration Responsibility Act of 1996).
  • Any International student who is UNLAWFULLY IN THE UNITED STATES FOR MORE THAN SIX (6) MONTHS BUT LESS THAN ONE (1) YEAR IS NOT ADMISSIBLE TO THE UNITED STATES FOR THREE (3) YEARS. If the student is unlawfully present for MORE THAN ONE YEAR, THE INDIVIDUAL CANNOT BE ADMITTED FOR TEN (10) YEARS. (Illegal Immigration Reform & Immigration Responsibility Act of 1996)
  • BE AWARE OF THE DATES ON I-20. Student should plan the education program so that s/he will not be out-of-status. Be enrolled in twelve (12) or more units, this means the completion of twelve (12) or more units at the end of Fall or Spring semesters. (Illegal Immigration Reform & Immigration Responsibility Act of 1996)
  • Plan your extension of stay in a timely manner to meet the immigration deadline. (Illegal Immigration Reform & Immigration Responsibility Act of 1996)

For additional information please call the IAU DSO and schedule an appointment.